How can I help my child learn English?
In addition to the comprehensive support your child will receive in school, your interest and involvement with your child’s English development is also paramount to their rapid progress and success with the English language.
Here are a list of ideas of how you can get involved to give your child the very best chances to improve.
- Encourage your child to play with other children who are able to speak English, they will learn a lot by playing with children who are speaking English.
- Greet your child in English, encourage them to answer you and use other short phrases and key words in English.
- Praise your child when they try to use English, this will boost their confidence in using their new and unfamiliar second (or even third) language.
- Encourage your child to find out about topics they are learning about in school. Support them in using and understanding key words.
- Talk to your child about what is happening in school, who their friends are and what they are enjoying, achieving and learning.
- Read each night with your child.
- Ensure that your child gets time to rest, learning a new language takes lots of energy and concentration.
- Help your child to find opportunities to use English outside of school e.g. by joining a club outside of school.
- Don’t worry and be patient. Language learning is complex and will take time.
- Make excellent use of your child's subscription to Education City.