At Cranfield Church of England Academy we are proud that in our 2014 Ofsted Inspection our pupils were awarded 'outstanding' for their behaviour. This is due to the excellent behaviour support and expectation from all staff at Cranfield Church of England Academy. We continue to be committed to creating a very positive and motivational learning atmosphere within the school. We believe strongly that all of our pupils have the right to learn in a safe, orderly and calm environment.
Our Golden Rules:
Our children appreciate rules that are linked to their rights and responsibilities. The school ‘Golden Rules’ are positively phrased, clear and visible across our school. They link clearly to our Values Education Programme. A copy is available in your child’s Home-School Link. Our Golden Rules are intrinsic in our positive school vocabulary. Our Golden Rules are:
For any questions about our Golden Rules, please do not hesitate to contact any member of staff.
Reward & Consequence Staircase:
Consistent in all of our classrooms is our Cranfield Academy Reward and Consequence Staircase enforcing positively to children that “Your behaviour is your choice”. Children receive rewards and consequences for their behaviour choices as appropriate and as detailed below.
Children are rewarded by all staff members in a variety of ways during the school day! We are proud of the breadth of praise systems and those detailed below do not provide an exhaustive list.
- Class Rewards – stickers, small prizes, Golden time etc.
- Achievement Stickers – awarded to children for learning, work and actions which show a pleasing achievement in their learning.
- Notes in the Home School Link – our teachers are proud to regularly communicate in your child’s Home School link. Please check your child’s Home School link regularly to ensure you are up to date with your child’s successes.
- Head Teacher Award – a gold sticker awarded to your child by our Headteacher for learning, work or actions which can be considered as ‘outstanding!’ This golden sticker serves as an invitation for you to attend our Friday celebration assembly. Your child will be invited to the front to share their success with the entire school.
In contrast to our rewards for correct behaviour choices, the Cranfield Church of England Academy Consequence Staircase is used to provide children with five progressive levels of consequence – demonstrating to children that behaviour choices which do not follow our Golden Rules are not acceptable and will not support themselves and their peers in “enjoying, achieving and learning”. If incorrect behaviour choices are made, the next level of the Consequence Staircase is used. The Consequence Staircase begins again each lesson, ensuring that children are quickly able to adopt the correct behaviour choices and make fresh starts at the beginning of lessons.
- Step 1 – Golden Rule Reminder – A positive encouragement to follow the specific Golden Rules.
- Step 2 – Record Taken – A note is taken in class that a Golden Rule has not been followed on two specific occasions within the given lesson.
- Step 3 – Note in Home-School Link – A note is put into the Home School Link for parents to read and acknowledge. The note will inform you of the Golden Rule or Rules which have not been followed.
- Step 4 – Report Slip – A formal, carbon-copy document which is kept in the child’s school record. The report will detail the repeated Golden Rule or Rules which have not been followed. A report slip may also be used for extreme behaviours.
- Step 5 – Exit from Class – In the circumstance that the Golden Rule or Rules continue to not be followed within a given lesson, the child will be removed from the classroom to ensure that effective learning is able to continue. The child will be reminded why they have to leave the classroom. Depending on the circumstance, the child will be sent to their Key Stage Leader, Deputy Headteacher or Headteacher.
If there are any queries about our Golden Rules, or Rewards and Consequence Staircase, please do not hesitate to contact us.